16-19 Bursary Fund Application
Introduction The 16-19 Bursary Fund helps 16 to 19 year olds continue in education where they might otherwise struggle for financial reasons. It is made up of two parts:
- Bursaries of £1,200 per year to the most vulnerable young people.
- A discretionary fund which is distributed by the school.
Eligibility To be eligible to receive a bursary in the 2017/18 academic year a student must be aged under 19 at the start of the academic year in which they start a programme of study. i.e. 31 August 2018. If they turn 19 during the course of the programme students can continue to be supported until the end of the academic year, or to the end of the programme of study, whichever is the sooner. To be eligible for the maximum payment of £1,200 students must provide the following evidence:
- Students in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit in their own name and disabled young people in receipt of both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance (or Personal Independent payments) – * a current letter setting out the benefit to which the student is entitled to.
- For those students who are in care, looked after in care or care leavers – * written confirmation of the students current or previous looked after status from the local authority which looks after the student or provides their leaving care services. (this must be an official document from the local authority – i.e. an email or letter that is current).
Other students may be eligible for a smaller bursary; we will endeavour to target our bursary awards towards students facing financial barriers to continuing with their education. The amount that will be paid will be dependent on the number of applications for assistance received and the size of the bursary fund allocated to the school by the government. Parents / Carers will be requested to supply current documentation e.g. indicating entitlement to Income Support, Tax Credits or a P60 for the previous year as proof of income and / or earnings. Students currently or previously in receipt of free school meals are not automatically entitled to receive a bursary, but this may be taken into account. *All supporting documentation must be current or dated within the last year 2017 To continue to receive a bursary all students must satisfy the following conditions:
- The student must not have unauthorised and unexplained absence or lateness to school or lessons
- The student must have over 95% attendance and punctuality at all times
- The student must be up to date with all subject work and hand in all coursework on time
- The student must show the required commitment to their studies at all times
- The student must sit all their examinations
Payment Bursaries are paid in installments. At the end of each term a review will be made as to whether these conditions have been met and adjustments may be made to the next allocation.
Changes in Circumstances during the Academic Year A small contingency will be retained so that some support can be made available in the event of a sudden deterioration in the financial circumstances of a student. Likewise, payments may be adjusted to take account of improvements in a student’s circumstances.
Application Those wishing to apply for a bursary must complete the application form, which is at the bottom of this page. Further copies will be available from the sixth form office. Applications must be submitted no later than Monday 16th October 2017. (If your circumstances deteriorate during the academic year, you should speak to a member of the sixth form management team).
Decisions All applications will be considered and assessed by the Leadership Team. The parent/carer will be notified of the decision, and an indication of the amount, if applicable, within 21 days of receipt of the application. You have the right to appeal and/or complain to the Headteacher if you feel that your case has not been given fair consideration. This must be in writing and be received by the school within 10 working days of the date of notification. The final decision rests with the Headteacher.
Queries Any queries relating to an application should be made to Ms Dennis in the first instance. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information please go to: https://www.gov.uk/1619-bursary-fund/overview